Friday 18 February 2011

To race or not to race?

It's that time of year again, when the competition calendars start appearing along with information on training plans, gear advice, calls for teams, and so on -- oh, and glossy fliers. Since getting into mountain biking I've tried to steer away from any competition, stressing I ride for fun and that's all. But I have to say that lately I've been more and more tempted. Maybe it's because I'm getting fitter, and the thought of pushing myself harder feels appropriate whereas for most the time I was finding my feet it just seemed to out of reach? I know I don't really want to race anyone else, so I won't be joining any teams that are all hotted up and brimming over with the thrill of competition; if I do sign up it will be between me, me, and me -- to prove that I can, to look back and say that I did (the competition will come the next time.

That's what happened with the Manchester 100(k) last year. I signed up because a few friends were doing it. I figured it would be a (huge) challenge, a fun ride with friends (although I ended up doing it on my own, but hey), and just a great day out on the bike with organised stops on the way and not much to worry about. It probably helped that the sun shone all day, but I thoroughly enjoyed it and I'd sign up for another one tomorrow. Ask me about an off-road event though and it's a different story. I'm just not sure. Maybe it's the macho bullshit element of it, the boo-rah comraderie that seems to accompany talk of an event? I don't know.

The MTB marathon series might be a good place to start. I'll think about it some more. On a cold, wintry day the thought of 50k off-road somewhere in Wales doesn't appeal. But somehow it does. At least I have the training plan, although who on earth has time for 3-5 bike sessions a week!?

No comments:

Post a Comment

To do list of rides

5 Dales
Cut Gate 02/07/11
Lee Quarry
Long Mynd
Coed-y-Brenin
Marin Trail (all of it)
Penmachno (all of it -- there's a pattern forming)
Gisburn 25/04/11