Friday 8 June 2012

It's all about balance

Or not. I'm sure my OH would argue there's nothing at all balanced about my cycling habit, and no doubt responding that splitting my time 50:50 between road and MTB suggest otherwise would be met with a blank look. So let's tip the life-cycling balance some more by introducing... rollers! It's the rain, you see. I can't take another day staring out the window wondering if, when, the rain will ever stop. This is Britain, it's supposed to be summer, so it probably won't stop now until sometime next March. So I caved in and bought some rollers. I was supposed to be waiting for my birthday, but that's a whole couple of months away and I will have totally flipped if I have to wait that long, so I spoiled my own surprise, grabbing a bargain from Planet X, and now -- with a bit of luck -- my shiny new rollers are winging there way to my warm, dry home. Whoopee!

I decided to get rollers rather than a turbo for three reasons: one, I have a short attention span, so having to concentrate makes is more likely I will concentrate -- boredom combined with the whiny giver-upper who lives in my head -- is my biggest enemy. Rollers require that I pay attention or bad things will happen. Two, well it gives me a core workout too, and three, they will also improve my technique. Now I'm not trying to win any prizes, but I like the idea of being more efficient. That's just who I am. Doing anything the long way round drives me crazy, so efficiency appeals to me.

I've read a whole stack of things on the turbo vs. rollers debate, and I have to say it reminds me a little of the Mac vs. PC debate. Those that have them love them, those that don't, don't. Simples. So, I'm getting mine and I'm going to love them. I don't really care what other people like or why; I'm a roller kinda girl, and I'm happy with that. What I do want to know is what I should when they arrive.

The best article I've found so far is by Michael E. Henson: The Lost Art of Balance: Roller Myths Deconstructed


Then there are some videos and other articles I like.

How To Ride On Rollers, over on Bike Radar, has self-explanatory content. It also has a couple of example sessions, which I plan to try out when I progress beyond clinging to the door frame. Have HRM, will roll.

For inspiration, there's How I Learned To Love The Rollers, also on Bike Radar, which includes a not quite as catastrophic as I was expecting video: Sad first time on rollers. I haven't googled YouTube for disaster videos involving rollers, but I'm sure some Jackass wanabees will have posted a few. I'll go take a look...

No comments:

Post a Comment

To do list of rides

5 Dales
Cut Gate 02/07/11
Lee Quarry
Long Mynd
Coed-y-Brenin
Marin Trail (all of it)
Penmachno (all of it -- there's a pattern forming)
Gisburn 25/04/11